Working from home can be challenging. Many lists try to help you be more productive from home. Other lists, give tips to make you feel like you're working in a corporate office. Productivity and working with other people are overrated. Use these practical tips to get the most for your home office.
- Who needs people? Let's face it, avoiding the morons and idiots at your old job was the reason you decided to work at home. Why stop there? If you're not already a misanthrope, get with the program. You don't need to go to the "coffee shop" or "share office space" to get that "working in the office" feeling. Hate everyone, and then working from home will be a breeze.
- Use your time wisely. Watch those Netflix movies or do your errands during the day when no one is there to bother you. When the family comes home you can honestly claim you've got work still to do, and force the mundane chores like washing dishes onto your spouse and kids. If you've mastered step one, this limits contact with other people even more.
- Separate your work area from your living area. If this means building a shed for the rest of the family, then do it. Too cheap for a shed? A tent or a string and some burlap sacks work just as well. You don't want to be chained to your desk at home. You're working at home, so you can wander around the house, but you don't want to be bumping into people while you're doing it. Get them out of your way.
- Load the kids up on TV and video games. Can't stand to keep your kids outside in subzero temperatures? Wimp. Nothing keeps kids quieter than TV and video games. You don't want them bothering you. They want to be playing video games or watching TV. Why fight it?
- Keep your workplace clutter free. Evidence of liquor and beer bottles on your desk will only tip off the spouse that you've been drinking all day. Make sure you hide those empty bottles, and make sure you have hidden stock to replenish what you've used during the day.
- Make a to-do list. Do it early in the morning while everyone is still at home. Make a big production out of it, so they can see you have a long list. Look stressed and run your fingers through your hair saying, "I don't know how I'm going to get all this done. Once everyone leaves, cross all the items off the list and then spend the rest of the day playing video games. Leave the completed list in a prominent place for everyone to see. Make sure you cross out in everything in dark marker, obscuring whatever you wrote. You want to be able to use the same items the next day.
- Take the time to find the really good pornography. You've got the time to reward yourself for all your hard work. Find the good sites, be patient. The Internet is a vast resource. It might take some time to find exactly what turns you on, but it's out there. Just make sure you delete your Internet history when you're done.
Follow these tips, and you'll make the most of your time working at home.
Brian Briggs is a world-renowned expert on productivity, and has used these tips to build a successful web empire, all from the comfort of his very own home office.