BBspot


Archives
 
BBlog
Happy Thanksgiving and a BBeliever Daily Links - 11/10/11 Daily Links - 11/2/11
BBloopers
Fun at Sea
Football Fans
Great College
Top 11
Top 11 Things Geeks Would Do After Being Rescued from a Mine
PC Weenies
The Neverending Story
Gratuity Not Included
Uptime Downtime
Geek Horoscopes
Random Geek Horoscopes
Classics
How White and Nerdy Are You?
Bush Proposes Faith- Based Firewalls for Government Computers
Microsoft Purchases Evil From Satan
Slashdot Story Generator
Which OS Are You?
Teen Using MySpace to Lure Bands to Los Angeles
The BBook of Geek
Recommended
Fark
[H]ard Folding Team
The Toque
Worth 1000
Joe the Peacock
PC Weenies
Mental Floss
Smashing Games
Free Codecs
SlushFactory
Geek Press
Wil Wheaton
Jonathan Coulton
I-Mockery
Um... Things
Jokes Gallery
Funny Pictures
More Links

Thursday, February 8 12:00 AM ET

Sony Hopes Memory Erasing Technology Will Boost Online Movie Sales

By Brian Briggs

Hollywood, CA - Sony Pictures movie downloads will feature a memory erasing sequence of sounds and flashing light that will cause viewers to forget that they've just watched a movie. Sony hopes the system, called “NoMemory Stick,” will increase the number of repeat downloads for its popular movie titles from online download services like iTunes and Wal-Mart.

Memory Erasing“We're masters at getting people to buy the same content over and again,” said Sony Pictures Vice president of Marketing, Kevin Fullbanks. “Look what we did with laser discs, VHS DVD, Blu-Ray and now digital. Now with the NoMemory Stick technology, we don't have to spend any money researching new formats. The customer doesn't remember seeing the movie, so they can enjoy it all again at $19.95. It's a win-win situation.”

After erasing the person's memory, the system then deletes the movie and asks the user if they would like to download the movie they just forgot watching. Researchers said a Blu-Ray DVD model that will erase your brain, burn the DVD then hide the case and your receipt is still “a few years off.”

Fullbanks suggested the memory-erasing technology to researchers at Sony after watching Men in Black. “I saw Tommy Lee Jones and thought, 'How can we use that technology to profit?' Then it hit me. I was disappointed to learn that it was just a prop in the film, so we've had to wait until now for our researcher to perfect the system.”

An internal research study by Sony showed a repurchase increase of 67% among viewers. The other 33% had their brains melted, so data was deemed unreliable.

Related News

Next Season of '24' Will Have Technobabble Captions

MPAA to Thwart Pirates by Making All Movies Suck

Movie Industry Tries New Naming Conventions to Reduce Piracy

Critics of the plan say that profit isn't the only motive behind this new technology. Darlene Wilhelm from Consumers United for Brain Protection said, “I think the real motive is that they want viewers to forget how bad the movie sucked.”

The new technology has been fully approved by the MPAA and Ben Affleck.

More Tech News - Ver en Español

Recommend this Story to a Friend
Printer-Friendly Version
Previous Story:

Trailer Review: Ghost Rider
Next Story:

Global Warming

 
 
RSS Feed Subscribe
Follow on Twitter Follow Us on Twitter
Facebook Fan Us on Facebook
Google Buzz Follow Us on Buzz
Amazon Find the BBook

 

  Politics Contact FAQs
A
D

sharepoint survey web part - make money online

Copyright 1999-2008 by BBspot LLC
BBspot is a satire news and comedy source and meant to be funny. If you are easily offended, gullible or don't have a sense of humor we suggest you go elsewhere.